OUR ANNUAL SPOTLIGHT OF THE
TOP PLAINTIFFS LAW FIRMS IN THE COUNTRY
Mazie Slater is one of only twelve firms in the entire country named to the National Law Journal’s 2014 “Plaintiffs’ Hot List,” and the first New Jersey-based law firm ever selected.
Each year, The National Law Journal “takes the pulse of the plaintiffs’ bar by examining its most successful practices across the country.” This year the twelve firms selected “landed groundbreaking verdicts, negotiated big settlements and, in many cases, paved the way for the resolution of other disputes.”
The National Law Journal highlighted some of our “groundbreaking” verdicts and settlements of the past year, and noted that “Mazie Slater makes it look easy.” Among the cases discussed was a record-setting $166 million jury verdict against DYFS – the largest verdict in New Jersey history – secured on behalf of then-4-year-old Jadiel Velesquez, who was left brain-damaged when his father beat him two months after the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services learned of possible abuse but didn’t remove him from his home. Legal experts have said that this verdict will serve as a wake-up call to government-run child protective services agencies throughout the country. This verdict surpassed the previous record-holder, a $135 million verdict also obtained by Mazie Slater, in a case involving a child injured by a drunk driver leaving a New York Giants game.
The National Law Journal noted Mazie Slater’s knack for finding and winning big cases and highlighted some other landmark verdicts and settlements the firm won over the past year, including:
- $11.1 million jury verdict in the first pelvic mesh case in the country against Johnson & Johnson and one of its subsidiaries, Ethicon, in the first of 2,100 lawsuits over its vaginal mesh implants. Mazie Slater served as lead trial counsel in this case and has been appointed co-liaison counsel in charge of overseeing the thousands of similar cases pending in New Jersey.
- $20+ million nationwide class action settlement against Nissan regarding an alleged defect in 2005-2010 Nissan Pathfinder, Xterra and Frontier vehicles, involving over 1 million class members that resulted in the catastrophic failure of the radiator and transmission.
- Nationwide class action settlement against Honda involving alleged defects in the suspension systems in 2006-2007 Honda Civics and 2006-2008 Honda Civic Hybrids which encompassed a class of more than 1.2 million individuals.
Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC based in Essex County, New Jersey is among the most prominent and aggressive trial law firms in the country, our attorneys having won hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. Please visit http://www.mazieslater.com for more information.
Based: Roseland, N.J.
Total No. of Attorneys: 10
- One of the secrets to our success is that we use technology in every aspect of the trial. The firm videotapes its depositions and plays those videos back during cross-examination.
- I always address what they’ll hear from the defendant during opening statements, and it takes the wind out of their sails. You’re not supposed to argue, but we come pretty damn close.
- My cross-examinations are sharp and to the point.
—David Mazie, partner
No Aspect Of This Advertisement Has Been Approved By The Supreme Court of New Jersey.